4 Steps to Creating An Unforgettable Instagram Profile
Did you know that it takes the average person less than 1 second to decide whether or not they are going to follow you on Instagram? TWO-TENTHS OF A SECOND TO BE EXACT! That's crazy! It makes you start to wonder if your profile has the key ingredients to capturing people's attention...
There are 4 easy ways to create an unforgettable Instagram profile. If you're looking to power up your profile and start getting more attention, follow these simple steps below to optimize your account now. The good thing is that you can do it all in less than an hour! It's time to level-up and create a stellar IG profile!
1. Have an easy-to-find name
Having an Instagram name that is easy to find and remember is so important for creating a stellar IG profile. The great thing is that you can change your user name at any time, so don't worry about being stuck with the one you currently have if you're not happy with it. Don't forget to also make your profile public if you're trying to increase your following and engagement!
Follow these guidelines when choosing your name:
- Make sure your name is easy to type (no crazy letter combinations, emojis, or characters) so people can find you
- Also use your actual name in the "Name" box so people can search for you either way
- Try not to bucket yourself (ex: "singlefemaletraveler") in case things might change down the road
- DON'T pollute your user name or name with multiple emojis. Just don't.
2. Upload a killer profile pic
Your Instagram profile picture is one of the biggest things that will attract new users. It is the first thing they will see and use to decide whether or not they want to follow you. You only have 1 chance to make a first impression, so make sure it's a good one!
Follow these guidelines to choosing the perfect profile picture:
- Choose a photo that people can see your face. Faces are more relatable and new users will connect more with faces than full body, landscape, logo, or product images. There are few exceptions to this; but for the majority of people, faces are the way to go!
- Have your picture be cohesive with the color schemes you use in your gallery
- A solid background is better than something with distraction
3. Have an informational bio
Think of your bio as your welcome mat. It is the place where you will greet new followers and let them know what to expect. It is also a great way to utilize keywords that make you easier to find in searches, and it's a place where you can promote and grow your e-mail list.
Follow these tips to crafting a great bio message:
- State who you are or what you do (Blogger, Business Coach, Photographer, etc.)
- Share what followers can expect ("Blogging tips for entrepreneurs", "NYC street style photos updated daily", "Food pics from European cafes", etc.)
- Include a call to action ("Contact me here", "Download my free library of resources here", "work with me here", etc.)
- Include your website URL
- A couple emojis are fine, but don't overdo it. EVER. *See a pattern here? :)
4. Create an amazing story
The most important ingredient that will get people to follow you is your content. Are you creating incredibly awesome content that makes people not want to look away? If you're not, do something about it now. You want your cover story--the first 9 photos of your profile--to be so enticing that people will have no choice but to hit "follow".
Follow these tips for creating an amazing story:
- Use a cohesive color palette
- Stick to the same editing styles with formatting and colors. Try using apps like VSCO or Snapseed for great effects
- Take photos that are visually appealing... and when in doubt, use the rule of thirds!
- Upload photos that match your bio's expectations
- Be consistent and continue to upload gorgeous pictures to build your story
If you follow these 4 easy steps, you will undoubtedly be headed in the right direction to having an unforgettable Instagram profile that will encourage people to follow you the second they find you.
And you can do it all in less than 1 hour! Go power up your IG profile now!